Deviled Egg Dip

29 May

Presenting your favorite dip for summer.
Something so easy shouldn’t taste this good.

Deviled Egg Dip

deviled egg dip

I have a theory about food…
… well, I have quite a few theories about food, but for once let me try to focus:

Theory: most foods have great versions, good versions and bad. Take a cheeseburger. There are a few incredible cheeseburgers out there (like Hilary’s Smash Burgers!) and there are terrible cheeseburgers but most cheeseburgers are just fine, thank you.

There are other foods, though, where there seems to be no in-between. It’s either amazing or crap and these foods don’t lend themselves to the average. Meatloaf, for example. When you get a tender, flavorful slice of meatloaf, it’s heaven sent. But most meatloaf is god-awful.  There’s no middle ground. Cake is another example. There are few things better than a really moist, perfect slice of cake. Yum. Most cake, though, is dry and ick and I’ve never had cake where I thought, “Yeah, fine, that’s a decent piece of cake.” Cake is awesome or it sucks. Done.

Deviled eggs fall into this latter category. There are few things I love more than a great deviled egg. Damn. I could eat a dozen in one sitting. (This is not a theory.) But I rarely eat them because 1) I won’t make deviled eggs myself as I haven’t the patience to peel hard boiled eggs without destroying them and 2) good deviled eggs are not easy to find. Even at the finest restaurants they tend to be dry, chalky and without taste.

Imagine my thrill, then, when a close friend of mine, Jeff, who is a wonderful and creative cook, shared with me a recipe called “Egg Chive Dip.” I of course messed with it, the way I do, to move it towards deviled eggs and came up with a tweaked version of Jeff’s already stellar recipe that gives you all the wonderfulness of a deviled egg without all the hassle!

Trust me, you will be dipping into this all summer long.

Deviled Egg Dip

deviled egg dip

DEVILED EGG DIP

Doubles easily!

Ingredients

4 hard boiled eggs (I confess, I get mine cooked and peeled at Costco or Trader Joe’s…)
8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 T Duke’s Mayonnaise
1 T Dijon Mustard
1 T Wooster (Worcestershire Sauce)
1 T cider vinegar (red wine vinegar or even pickle juice will work)
1 t salt
1 t black pepper
1/2 t cayenne (or paprika)
1/3 to 1/2 cup minced chives (one full packet of chives from the store works)

Directions

In the bowl of a food processor, chop the eggs pretty fine.

Add everything else to the food processor but the chives.

Blend the crap out of it. I like this really smooth, but you can play with your own favorite texture. If it’s too dry or thick, add a little more mayo and/or heavy cream. A splash of your vinegar component will help, too.

Taste for seasoning! What else do you need?

Remove to a bowl and stir in your chives. And then, if you’re me, add more chives!

Serve with crackers, crudite’, potato chips… or just with a spoon!

IMPORTANT: This is also wonderful with crispy bacon, chopped, added to the dip!

24 Responses to “Deviled Egg Dip”

1. chalkandcheesetravels May 29, 2020 at 12:30 pm #

Sounds great i do like a good deviled edd

2. Jeff W May 29, 2020 at 12:51 pm #

And now I’ll get to try YOUR recipe, which I am excited about! You’ve clearly given it some zing. Additionally, I can now take it off of the “Tom list” for future get together’s…you’ve certainly elevated the recipe.

• onfoodandfilm.com May 29, 2020 at 12:55 pm #

I did not elevate it at all! Just made it a little bit different 🙂 thank you again!!

3. Dorothy's New Vintage Kitchen May 30, 2020 at 5:47 am #

What an interesting recipe! I never thought of turning deviled eggs into a dip!

• onfoodandfilm.com May 30, 2020 at 6:30 am #

Dorothy, it is new to me as well! But I will be making it all the time now : ) Thank you for reading! Love your blog. I’m trying a gluten free version of your mayo cake soon!

4. Mike Chapman May 30, 2020 at 7:28 am #

Yum!! Will have to try this, thanks!!!

5. Geri Lawhon May 30, 2020 at 9:29 am #

Looks delicious. I am sure that it is low on calories. Ha Ha. Doesn’t matter, I am going to try it anyways. Thanks for the recipe.

• onfoodandfilm.com May 30, 2020 at 9:31 am #

Lol. It’s just eggs/protein …right, Geri? I hope you enjoy, and you can eat it with celery and carrots and then it’s low-carb!

6. Mary May 30, 2020 at 1:45 pm #

Mmmm mm!

7. jeffybean June 3, 2020 at 7:43 pm #

Perfect timing, right as I’m starting keto again! 🙌

8. Patches DeShazo June 5, 2020 at 12:45 pm #

Heaven in a bowl!! Thank you for sharing this!

• onfoodandfilm.com June 5, 2020 at 12:47 pm #

Hey! Thank you! I think so as well LOL… so glad you enjoyed and thank you for reading!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Deviled Egg Dip — On Food And Film | My Meals are on Wheels - June 2, 2020

[…] via Deviled Egg Dip — On Food And Film […]

2. Deviled Egg Dip — On Food And Film – Sarah's Attic Of Treasures - June 10, 2020

[…] via Deviled Egg Dip — On Food And Film […]