This recipe is part of a longer blog post, A Cook/Book That Changed My Life, Vol. II
Tom note: fernee’s classic Marinated Shrimp recipe starts with 5 lbs of shrimp! The recipe is for a party (and I’ve made it many times for parties… huge hit!) I’ve cut the recipe down here… but double it if you have a big gathering!
- 2-3 lbs shrimp, boiled with the shells on (adds flavor), then peeled and deveined. Tom: I confess I often use Costco frozen pre-cooked shrimp.
- 4-5 stalks celery, with leaves if possible, diced large
- 1 bunch green onions, diced large
- 1 large bell pepper, diced large
- 1 cup oil (canola is good here. Its taste is neutral and olive oil can thicken a marinade when in the fridge. Canola won’t thicken.)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- one small jar Zatarain’s Creole Mustard
- 1 T salt
- 1 t cayenne
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 T sugar
Combine oil, vinegar, creole mustard and seasonings in the blender. Blend until mixed well. Taste! We are taste cooks. Exact amounts are hared to give. Experiment until you find the taste you prefer. We have consumed gallons by tasting and retesting… now it’s your turn!
Toss shrimp and vegetables in a large bowl, then pour over marinade. Toss well. Taste again! And adjust.
Refrigerate for 1 or two days. Stir every day. Drain before serving.
TOM NOTE: These shrimp are wonderful in a variety of ways. Served in a bowl with toothpicks is perfect. I also like them as a part of, or as the main ingredient, in a salad. Beautiful!